We spent last weekend (2/10-2/11) shopping for a new car. We decided that it we no longer needed two SUVs. (I'm not sure why we ever did.) The straw that broke the camels back was one night when we were having a really wet snow, Lindsay and I decided we needed to eat at Jose Pepper's. We took the Kia, and slid sideways down the road three times in the mile from our place to the restaurant. Then, in all our wisdom, we decided to go to Kohl's after dinner. We slid down Metcalf sideways twice. We made it home safely - albeit VERY VERY slowly. At that time, we decided to get rid of the Kia. It's weird, because we've had it for a couple of years, and have never had that kind of experience before.
Used car salesmen are funny. Here are a few of the funny things that happened. It was cold outside, so we drove around the car lots in our car whenever we could. At one lot, a salesman was running behind out Jeep. I'm not kidding, I looked in the rear-view mirror and he was jogging along behind our car. At another lot, the salesman couldn't find the keys to the car we were interested in but he was able to find ones to another of the same car since the interior would be the same. When we said we wanted a test drive, he was surprisingly able to find the right keys. It turns out "another salesman was holding on to them because he had a customer coming in that afternoon to test drive the same car." (sidebar - I accidentally typed cat instead of car at the end of that last sentence. I then had an imagining (Tara West word) of Lindsay and me test driving a cat. It had a saddle.) At a third place, the salesman quoted us one price and then, when he found out from the manager they had advertised the car for $3,000 less that weekend, he said, "I had wondered why we got 4 or 5 calls about this car this morning."
Well, we ended up buying a car at CarMax, which was a great experience. We may have paid a hair more than elsewhere, but you don't have to deal with all the haggling and extra crap they put you through. It's all completely straight forward. AND, the icing on the cake was that at the end of the process, we found out they take care of transferring your plates and paying the taxes at the DMV for you! I have never gotten in and out of the JoCO DMV in less than 2 hours. So - here is a picture of our awesome new ride. Don't be too jealous - it's just my commuter car to get downtown.
Used car salesmen are funny. Here are a few of the funny things that happened. It was cold outside, so we drove around the car lots in our car whenever we could. At one lot, a salesman was running behind out Jeep. I'm not kidding, I looked in the rear-view mirror and he was jogging along behind our car. At another lot, the salesman couldn't find the keys to the car we were interested in but he was able to find ones to another of the same car since the interior would be the same. When we said we wanted a test drive, he was surprisingly able to find the right keys. It turns out "another salesman was holding on to them because he had a customer coming in that afternoon to test drive the same car." (sidebar - I accidentally typed cat instead of car at the end of that last sentence. I then had an imagining (Tara West word) of Lindsay and me test driving a cat. It had a saddle.) At a third place, the salesman quoted us one price and then, when he found out from the manager they had advertised the car for $3,000 less that weekend, he said, "I had wondered why we got 4 or 5 calls about this car this morning."
Well, we ended up buying a car at CarMax, which was a great experience. We may have paid a hair more than elsewhere, but you don't have to deal with all the haggling and extra crap they put you through. It's all completely straight forward. AND, the icing on the cake was that at the end of the process, we found out they take care of transferring your plates and paying the taxes at the DMV for you! I have never gotten in and out of the JoCO DMV in less than 2 hours. So - here is a picture of our awesome new ride. Don't be too jealous - it's just my commuter car to get downtown.

No comments:
Post a Comment